Tuesday, 30 October 2012

Late October Reflections


“Is not this a true autumn day? Just the still melancholy that I love - that makes life and nature harmonize. The birds are consulting about their migrations, the trees are putting on the hectic or the pallid hues of decay, and begin to strew the ground, that one's very footsteps may not disturb the repose of earth and air, while they give us a scent that is a perfect anodyne to the restless spirit. Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns.” ― George Eliot


View from Burnaby mountain


Autumn has a richness to it that leaves me in an unending state of suspense some days; my thoughts all tangled up and hanging in mid air. Annabelle, Ryan and I have been laying low and letting the season sink in, taking time now and again to celebrate the moment. This time of year renders me sleepy; suspended in a cozy daze where by default I've taken to simple tasks: reading, writing in my journal, watching movies, knitting, and a lot of contemplating. Annabelle has her little brain wrapped around jigsaw puzzles at the moment, and always seems to have one out and in a state of near completion. A perfect rainy, Autumn day pursuit.

Last week Ryan carved some pumpkins with Annabelle again. He bought a kit to carve that came with stencils and tried his hand at it. I joined in for sake of participation but I wasn't that great at it. Precision pumpkin carving? Not my forte! I still enjoyed myself...although I'm sure not anywhere close to Annabelle's level of joy. Her little face scrunched as she squealed in delight at all of those pumpkin innards. So much squishy fun. If only I captured a picture of the finished product. Those beloved jack-o-lanterns succumbed to shriveling within a day. 

In this season of quiet pleasures, I've been thinking long and hard about the choices I've been making. Sometimes retrospection is the only way to see things clearly. I've been focusing a lot on creating a more enriching environment for Annabelle Jean, as my time with her is coming to a close. She'll be in school in ten months and I'd best make the most of this time.


My little artist 

I've always been extremely fond of Waldorf-inspired education. I love the emphasis on the whole child, on embracing a child's natural curiosity and creating an environment free from media, plastic, over-stimulation and processed food. I haven't always achieved that--in fact there are times where I've achieved quite the opposite--but I'm always striving for the most wholesome childhood for my sweet Bean. Some of my biggest goals for the next year are focused on bringing more nature and balance to our family life.

All of the activity going on surrounding the weather has forced me to contemplate the small things in life. It certainly has me feeling thankful, appreciative and focused on living in the moment. It has been a very eventful month for weather. Multiple earthquakes have rattled the west coast leaving me feeling rather uneasy. While it doesn't effect us as it does the folks up on the northern coast, it certainly has a lot of people wondering what would happen if such an even struck further south. Devastation, likely.  The great city of Vancouver has a majority buildings not up to code for the zone. Add that to a growing laundry list of emergency preparedness projects yet to be completed and we're all signed up for one big mess. Environment Canada has already acknowledged that it could likely happen soon.

Not only earthquakes, but huge amounts of snow in Alberta, flooding devastating the town of Wawa, Ontario, and hurricane Sandy burying the east coast in chaos, water, and destruction. In times like these, we all have to hunker down and re-evaluate our priorities. I hope and pray for all those effected by theses events. It has me thinking of my beloved, dear Grandma in southern Ontario.

 May everyone stay safe and enjoy this season of plenty.

No comments:

Post a Comment